The Orange Square

After recapturing the city from the Moors, the Christians took the urbanistic task of building up what was to be the urban and social centre of the town: The Plaza de los Naranjos which was the city’s key point and the noble zone of social life.

Apart from the Hermitage or Santiago and the Town Hall, both still existing inns, the House of the Burgomaster and various mansions.

First it was called “Main Square”, later on “Town Hall Square”, “Irrigation”, “Isabel II”, “Liberty” “Constitution” “Palm Tree” “Republic” “General Franco”…

The Orange Tree Square takes its present name from its picture orchard of orange trees planted in 1941 that substituted the palm-trees which had replaced the horse chestnuts.

36.510225, -4.884977

Plaza de los Naranjos, Marbella
Image gallery